I’ve had a lovely few days with Mum visiting, as I’ve been unwell and she has been visiting to look after me. But also we’ve been practising my sewing skills, expanding my repertoire after having attended a sewing class recently.
I had the idea to make a crocheted clutch bag, but wanted to know how to line it with fabric to get a professional finish. Thankfully Mum has the skills to teach me! This is the item in progress. The first part after finishing the main crochet design, was to block it to size and measure up the fabric.
Finally I have managed to use my KnitPro blocking pins and mats and they were fabulous – well recommended (from Wool Warehouse with free shipping…) The yarn I used was Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran – it holds up very well and was a joy to work with.
We quickly decided that there needed to be some interfacing to stiffen the edges, otherwise it wouldn’t hold up too well. Eventually we settled on sew in interfacing which we measured to just under the size of the silk taffeta lining fabric.
And here is the finished article! I’m so happy with the outcome – finished off with a magnetic bag clasp and a vintage brooch.
In fact, I love it so much I’ve even started on the next one already!